Sandford Parks LidoPlaces to Visit
- All the family
- Under 5s
- School age
Sandford Parks Lido is one of Cheltenham’s most popular attractions.
Open 1st May - 8th October 2021
- No children under 8 years old will be permitted into lane-only sessions
- All children aged 8-16 must be accompanied by a paying adult
- The children's pool and play areas are currently closed
Please see our full list of Terms & Conditions for Lane Swimming here: Lanes T&Cs
OPEN SWIM SESSIONS (FAMILY-FRIENDLY):
- All ages welcome (children aged under 16 must be accompanied by a paying adult)
- One adult can be responsible for up to 2 children between 5 and 8 years old
- Children under 5 years old must be accompanied by an adult on a 1:1 ratio
- Half the pool is lane swimming and half the pool is a free swim area, but slides remain closed
- Large inflatables, flippers, snorkels and hard balls are not permitted during open swims
Please see our full list of Terms & Conditions for Family Swim Sessions here: Family Swim T&Cs
Visit the Lido website
There is a large car park suitable for over 150 cars which sits directly outside of the lido. Parking fees start at £2.00.
There are regular non-swimming events held at Sandford Parks Lido throughout the season. The annual sunrise swim takes place every June and there are also events such as outdoor cinema, theatre productions and live music.
The Sandford Parks lido opened in May 1935 and was popular as the biggest pool in the West Midlands and one of the only heated outdoor pools in the UK (yes it was heated even back then!)
After year of popularity, even after the opening of Cheltenham’s indoor pool in the seventies, the Lido received funds to secure its future from local donations and lottery funding:
In 2006, Sandford Parks Lido secured funding for the refurbishment of the main pool. £250,000 was raised from direct donations (Buy us a pint appeal), £50,000 from Gloucestershire Environmental Trust with Landfill Tax contributions from Cory Environmental Ltd and £382,500 from the Heritage Lottery Fund. “Sandford Parks Lido contributes significantly to
Cheltenham’s central conservation area and is nationally important.” – taken from the Heritage Lottery statement.
Nerys Watts, Heritage Lottery Fund Manager in the South West commented; ‘Historic outdoor pools are like gold dust and Sandford Parks Lido is a real gem. Whether you’re cooling off in the summer sun, taking the kids for their first swimming lessons or just enjoying the history of the site, the restored Lido will benefit everyone in Cheltenham and beyond.’
The Lido has recently announced that a new 35 year lease agreement has been signed between Cheltenham Borough Council and the charity that operates the site. Following several years of uncertainty they can now continue with long-term plans for our treasured Lido.